Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Vintage Finds

Joanna told me about a gold mine of free sewing materials in my neighborhood.  The owner was cleaning up her garage and reserved a bin of goodies for me.  I have nothing vintage in my house (things that are worn or need to be discarded do not mean vintage).  When I opened the bin, I thought of the word "inheritance."  It gave me goosebumps that I was about to peek into another's life.
There were a few pieces of strawberry napkins.  Cute!  

Lovely laces.

Spools of colorful thread (will find out if they are "too vintage" to use).

I had no idea what this thingamajig was.  The lady just stuffed it in the bin and said "why not."
I am so thankful that at this day and age, I could find instructions for ANYTHING online. Click here for the link.  Guess I will be playing with rhinestones pretty soon.

 Then came THIS.
It opens up to reveal several compartments.  I immediately thought, "hey, great for cupcakes!"  (sorry, it was lunch time and I was overdue for a meal.)  Then, again, it might be best for jewelry storage on a nightstand.  LOVE the cherry embroidery.

Loads of buttons!  

 La Mode buttons are still easy to find now a days.  They run anywhere from $1.60 to $7 per package.  Look at the price back then!  60 cents! BTW, isn't it cute that this lady used the back of the package to jot down measurements, notes or calculation (the numbers did not add up though)?

 While the buttons now are almost always made in China with no description in the back, these buttons were mostly made in Japan, with "Guaranteed washable" printed in the back.

 I don't see Sears buttons anymore.  Not to mention for just 49 cents.  The others were 29 cents.  Again, guarantee to be washable!
Guess there used to be a Vallco Drug that sold discounted Chic buttons for 12 cents a package.

Lastly, a few yard of Italian waist band elastic (the wrapping board was a piece of wood, not cardboard) and washing instructions (with extra button and yarn) for a sweater.
I promised the lady that I would send her a picture of how I utilize these sewing materials.  Thank you, for passing down a piece of your life to me.
deb signature Follow TingTingMamMa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow TingTingMamMa